Hi beauties! With Urban Decay Naked Smoky palette launch, I’ve been getting a lot of requests to do a really sultry smoky eye look. I went
a bit , a lot overboard with purchasing all sorts of eyeshadow palettes of late, so I didn’t get the Naked Smoky palette myself but I did use cooler tones for this look so if you have the Naked Smoky palette, you can easily replicate it.
Also, I’m trialling a GIF option for makeup tutorials (as below). Although I still listed all the products and steps in detail, I thought showing the order and placement of products with a GIF might be clearer…and more fun? I have to keep an eye on whether it affects download time on the page however, so fingers crossed it’ll all work smoothly. In the meantime, let me know what you think. Should we keep the GIF option for future tutorials? Is it more helpful for you than still images?
This is the smoky look I created…
PRODUCTS USED FOR THIS LOOK
I used my trusty old Lorac Pro palette as I love the versatility of the colors; especially the matte shades. I don’t know if this happens to you also, but with palettes, I’ll naturally be drawn to my personal favorite colors which are usually warm tones. Because I was looking for cooler shades to play with today, I ended up using Slate – which is a silvery gunmetal gray…and oh my!! I never noticed just how stunning this color is. I’ll certainly be using it more often.
Another product that literally ‘made this look’ is Colourpop’s Super Shock Shadow in Friskie. I had this eyeshadow since I did my big Colourpop shadow review/swatch post and haven’t had a chance to use it since.
At only $5, I cannot explain how amazing the quality of this shadow is. It applied and looked like shiny satin over my eyes in person.
I also used Sigma flat shader, pencil and blending brushes to build up and diffuse all the shadows.
STEPS TO CREATE THIS LOOK
Press PLAY on the GIF and let me know your thoughts on this feature ;)
[WPGP gif_id=”6045″ width=”600″]
You can use any eyeshadow palette or colors you have. You can also leave the look all matte or go all out and use glitter if you wish – just have fun with it.
1. Prep the eyes with your choice of primer and apply Taupe (the lightest warm brown color) in the crease as transition. Diffuse this color well.
2. Apply Espresso (dark brown color) in the crease in a thinner line than the first light brown color you applied. Blend into the lighter brown.
3. Apply Slate (shimmery gunmetal) all over the mobile lid and extend out to a soft wing at the outer corners. Blend this color really well into the brown shades. Build more color, blend more and repeat until the color is as intense as you like and all the colors merge seamlessly
4.Repeat the above color order for the bottom lash line starting with Taupe, go over it with Espresso and Slate (only along the outer third joining with the wing you created).
5. Apply Black color on the very outer corner of the eyes and blend into the Slate color to create more depth.
6. With your finger, dab Colourpop Friskie on the mobile lid. The more layers you apply of this product, the shinier it gets ;)
7. Using Tarteist black gel liner, line along the top lash line, and inside the top and bottom waterlines. Dip the tip of a pencil brush into Black eyeshadow and smudge the gel liner really well into both the top and bottom lash lines.
7. Apply mascara to top and bottom lashes; apply your favorite false lashes (optional)
TIPS AND TRICKS
* The trick with any smoky look is the blending process. It’s a constant “build up the color and blend” until you achieve the intensity you want without any streaks or obvious lines. Colors should seamlessly merge into each other and patience really is a virtue when it comes to smoky eyes. Take your time, build the colors one layer at a time and blend blend and blend – even when you think you can’t blend no more.
* Regardless of whether I use warm or cool colors when creating a smoky eye, I always prefer to include a warm transition shade in the crease and along the bottom lash line. I find this brings more dimension to the look and softens it.
I hope you enjoy this look and don’t forget to tag me at sarahbeautypov on Instagram/Twitter if you recreate it; I’d love to see your version of it.
Have a great day beauties!! xx