If you want to look and feel your best but you don’t have much time to spend on makeup application, these ‘tried and tested’ practical makeup products will help you achieve the best results in no time.
Some are multi-purpose products, and some you may already have in your makeup stash but never thought to utilise in the many different ways possible.
When your skin is looking dull or tired, illuminators can give your skin a much needed boost and that healthy glow instantly. The cream and liquid based formulas such as the brands I listed below have very fine shimmers so they provide a glowing sheen over the skin…not sparkle or glitter finish.
– Use all over the face to add a dewy glowing effect
– Use as highlighter over cheek bones and brow bones for a subtle highlight
– Different colors are available within NARS Multiples or BeneFit Tint range to be used as blush / bronzer
– Use as as lip tints, or to add a shimmer to the center of the lips to enhance the look.
SHIMMER STRIPS / MOSAICS
– Use as much or as little of each shade depending on your color preference
– Swirl your brush over all the colors to get a shimmering blush/bronzer
– Use individual shades as eyeshadows
– Use lighter shades as highlighter over cheekbones, brow bones or center of the lips
– Use darker shades as bronzer or to add dimension to your features
COLORSTAY / LONGWEAR CONCEALERS
Colorstay formulas, particularly concealers get a big thumbs up from me. If you have a problem with your concealer creasing or staying put – which is a common issue for many of us, colorstay/longwearing formulas eliminate all these issues.
– They usually come in liquid form – which is great for the delicate skin around the eyes to prevent dragging
– They provide great coverage, set quickly and don’t move, budge or melt away
– Unless you have really oily skin, they don’t even need to be set with powder
– They can double up as eye primers! Because they set, the eyeshadows or eye liners stay put without creasing. The eyeshadows also look more intense and true to their actual color
FIXING / SETTING SPRAYS
– Fixing sprays are used to bind the makeup together, especially if you use powder and powder blush or bronzers over your foundation. A quick spray of fixing spray helps take away the matte powdery look and give the skin a glowing finish without affecting the colors you applied.
– Setting sprays still help bind the makeup together, but they also leave a protective veil over the skin and set everything so your makeup becomes long wearing. You also won’t need any touch ups throughout the day and it won’t melt away, move or wear off.
– Fixing sprays (such as MAC Fix+) can also double up as mixing medium. A small drop of this mixture can help mix together glitter and loose eyeshadows to avoid messy applications; or you can even spray it over your regular eyeshadow to help intensify the colors and turn them into amazing liquid formulas.
PRESSED PIGMENTS (Eyeshadows)
What sets pressed pigments apart from standard eyeshadows is the multi-dimensional shimmer they provide. What may seem to be one flat color at first glance is actually made up of many different colored shimmers.
– Multi dimensional color adds light and depth at different angles over the eyes
– Instead of using 2-3 different eyeshadows to achieve a multi-dimensional look, you only use one pressed pigment
– I’m a big fan of pressed pigments; especially the Loreal Infallible range which I did an extensive review here.
– Use them as eyeshadows and eyeshadow primers. The formula is designed to set and last, so these eyeliners stay crease proof on the eyelids for hours.
– Apply them over the eyelids with fingertips – start with a thin layer and build up the color to your liking. Wear them on their own, or apply eyeshadow on top to achieve the look you desire.
– With one product, you can draw an immaculate cat eye, smudge it into a soft line, take it all over the eyelid for a beautiful smokey eye or use it as a shadow primer…the options are endless!
* There are many brands which make colorstay eyeliners but if you’re planning to use them as multi purpose products such as eyeshadows and primer bases I mentioned above, it’s important to go for softer pencils which are easy to apply over the eyelid without dragging the delicate skin.
And here we are beauties, looking your best doesn’t mean you have to have every new makeup product or spend hours in front of the mirror. Having a few multi purpose items will not only cut down on your makeup application time, but they will also give you perfect results each time.
What’s your go-to practical makeup product? xx