Hi beauties! How are you all? It’s been a while that I did a makeup tutorial and some of you wanted to see looks using all matte eyeshadows. So I did this very simple smokey line which can be easily be transformed for a day look, as well as a more dramatic night time look depending on the colors and intensity of the shadows you use.
I’ll also be explaining a simple trick for achieving that perfect precise wing line using a post it note! Talk about improvising :)
Although I’ve listed the products I personally used below, you can most certainly use whatever brand or colors you have. You can also change up this look by using shimmer eyeshadows or different styles of false lashes depending on how dramatic you’d like the look to be.
If you’ve never used the post it note trick to achieve the perfect shadow/gel/pencil line, you will love the results you achieve. It certainly takes the hassle out of trying to keep a steady hand and making sure everything is blended in a straight line.
*I have a detailed post on the ‘post it note trick’ as well as couple of other time saving tips when it comes to eye makeup HERE
STEPS TO ACHIEVING THE SMOKEY LINE EYE MAKEUP
1. Prep the eyes by using an eye primer. I used Urban Decay Original Primer Potion.
2. Stick a mini post it note from the outer corner of the eye going up towards the end of the eyebrow. You can adjust the angle depending on how lifted you want this line to look.
3. Using a fluffy blending brush, apply the lightest eyeshadow color (Lorac Pro Taupe) all over the eyelid, slightly pass the crease line. Blend well.
4. Using a flat shader brush, dab a darker brown eyeshadow (Lorac Pro Espresso) all over the eyelid, stopping right at the crease line. Blend with the Taupe color for a seamless finish.
5. Using a flat shader brush, draw a thick line along the top lash line with the black eyeshadow (Lorac Pro Black), extending the color into a wing. Using the blending brush, diffuse this color starting from the edge of the post it note towards the middle of the eyelid. This will help leave the wing portion of the line more intense.
6. Using the gel liner (Maybelline Eye Studio in black), draw a line along the top lash line, winging it out as far as you wish towards the eyebrow. I stopped mine just in line with the Espresso eyeshadow color.
7. Apply more of the black eyeshadow on the outer corner of the eye over the gel liner and blend towards the eyelid to achieve a perfect gradient from darkest to the lightest color.
8. Peel the post it note off. You’ll realise you’ve just created a perfect precise line with your eyeshadows and gel liner.
9. Line the inner rim of your eyes with a black eyeliner – Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Zero.
10. Using a pencil brush, smudge the dark brown eyeshadow along the lower lash line, followed by the black eyeshadow to achieve a smoked out line.
11. Apply mascara and false lashes (optional).
The trick is in the blending. Just make sure you build up the colors in layers, blending really well in between until you achieve the desired intensity. This technique can also be used for subtle daytime looks. You just need to switch the colors to lighter shades. Using mid to dark brown shades instead of the black eyeshadow will instantly soften this look but still give you that lifted, smoked out winged line.
As always, if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below ;)
*The Lorac Pro palette is available either at Kohls department stores in the US or online (ebay and amazon) for international delivery. Maybelline Eye Studio gel liner is available at drugstores.
SHOP THE REST
Click on the pictures to be taken to the sites
Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara Urban Decay Pencil Zero Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade Urban Decay Primer
This just in…Hourglass Cosmetics has just announced the release of their limited edition Ambient Lighting Blush Palette for the holidays! If you’ve seen the review of my Ambient Lighting Powder Palette HERE, you can probably guess why I’m so excited about this new addition :)
This trio blush palette features the colours: Luminous Flush – champagne rose; Incandescent Electra – cool peach and Mood Exposure which is a soft plum.
As per my previous review of the Ambient Powder Palette, what makes the Ambient formulas so unique is the super finely milled shimmer that runs through the product. It really does give off an airbrushed glow, rather than sparkle or obvious shimmer. The blushes are no exception. They have the same glowing powder formula marbled through the blush so you not only get a beautiful deposit of color but also the airbrushed highlight.
If you enjoyed the Ambient Lighting range of powders and blushes so far, or you’d like to try them for the first time, this limited edition palette is perfect to add to your collection or get acquainted with this gorgeous line from Hourglass.
SHOP THIS ITEM
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette $58 Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Palette $58
When Urban Decay says they’re releasing new products, they really mean it. Other than MAC’s seasonal and limited edition collections, Urban Decay is the brand next in line to be very consistent with rolling out new products and sets. They’ve just recently released their Holiday 2014 products and if you’re a fan of having variety when it comes to single purchases, I think you’ll be very pleased with these…
VICE 3 EYESHADOW PALETTE – $60- BUY HERE
The Vice range of Urban Decay eyeshadow palettes have been very successful in the past, so it’s only natural that they continue to release follow up colors. This Vice 3 palette is no exception. If you love a good range of colors combined in the one palette, Vice 3 would be a good choice for you. Again, with many of the Urban Decay palettes, lack of matte shades is probably the only downside to this palette as it features 2-3 matte shades. From subtle everyday browns to jewelled and smokey tones however, the palette does offer a great variety of colors.
FULL FRONTAL LIPSTICK STASH – $39- BUY HERE
Featuring 6 mini lipsticks, which 3 of the colors (Flower, Crush and Illicit) being exclusive to this limited edition set, this pack also includes a full size Ozone lip pencil – a clear lipliner which is designed to prevent lipsticks bleeding. This pack is a great way to try out Urban Decay lipsticks, to add new colors to your collection or to gift to someone.
TEN 24/7 GLIDE ON PENCIL SET – $52- BUY HERE
Urban Decay is great in designing pencil sets and if you’ve missed out on their previous releases, fret not. This 10 pencil set features brand new colors inspired by the Urban Decay eyeshadows. It also includes the super black Perversion. Being long wearing liners, these pencils make a great base for eyeshadows or to use on their own.
BLACK MAGIC 24/7 DOUBLE ENDED EYE PENCIL SET – $39- BUY HERE
If you’re a fan of dark eye pencils, but you still prefer a touch of color, Urban Decay has also catered for you with this double ended pencil set of their most popular colors. This set is something I would purchase in a heartbeat…if I didn’t already have all the featured colors in individual pencil form. From the richest browns and blacks to shimmering deep purple and teal, this set is a must-have for all pencil lovers.
NAKED ILLUMINATED SHIMMERING POWDER in AURA – $29- BUY HERE
If you have the previous shimmering powder in the shade Luminous and felt it was too light or gold in color, you might be pleased with this new shade Aura. With pink/peach undertones, the formula of this powder is the same as the original – a little on the sparkly side. I personally prefer my illuminating powders to be more subtle – more shimmery than sparkly but if you loved the original formula and would like to add a softer peachy shade to the mix, then this powder would be perfect for you.
Last but not least in the Urban Decay Holiday 2014 new releases is a Duo pack of their All Nighter Setting Spray, priced at $39.
As you can see, Urban Decay is great in offering a variety of colors within a single purchase which is a great way to promote their product range. Also If you’re new to the brand or would like to expand on your existing collection without breaking the budget, I feel Urban Decay sets are amazing value for money. With holidays fast approaching, they also make great gifts for your loved ones…or yourself ;)